Monday, June 8, 2009

travel tales

5/13/09
Made it to Togiak yesterday morning. It was beautiful traveling weather. We got way lucky says Mike. He said last year’s trip was miserable. Crummy conditions are fun for a little bit but days on end are exhausting. At any rate we had a wonderful trip-one I will not forget. Beautiful sunsets. Shining moons. Lopping the heads off bloated gargantuan walrus corpses. Pushing and shoving our way through many harrowing miles of Bering Sea ice. Taking my turn at the helm in pea-soup fog. Wheel watch reflection. Scary hookah diving. T-bone steaks. Chocolate ice-cream. And best of all being in King Cove for a couple hours on mothers day so I could call mom.  I was so grateful for that. This was my first time through False Pass. The current absolutely rips through there!  A fairy-tale rock structure near Chignik appropriately named Castle Cape made quite an impression on me. Another sight that astounded me was a raft of about 200 sea otters clinging to a bed of kelp in Whale Pass. It reminded me of Brian Jaques Redwall series. Since we have been traveling I have seen about 40 or 50 whales, most of them humpbacks. They are everywhere here in Togiak. Not to mention the thousands of tons of herring…

No comments:

Post a Comment