Saturday, October 24, 2009

Arrrgg-curses on yeh, curses on yeh...


Wednesday 9/30/09

I am on night watch right now-the 2 to 4 shift. my next shift will be 8-10 in the morning. Things are really rockin and rollin. We are in a following sea and are surfing the waves as they roll in from behind. When we come off a wave(or rather when it overtakes and rolls out from underneath us) the boat rolls fairly violently. I poked my head outside to check things out. The moon is shrouded by clouds and casts an erie light on the sea. The clouds themselves are grayish white-a silvery mantel blanketing us over.  Giant black mountains of water come looming out of the darkness, lifting us forward and leaving us lurching. It is terrifying in the most wonderful kind of way.

I am on my morning watch now drinking liptons tea. I just spilled my mug of coffee all over after carelessly leaving it unattended on a bad roll. As i sopped up the mess and scrubbed the stains i decided to quit drinking coffee for awhile-at least until i begin my climbing/dirtbagging adventure. So i guess the spill was a good thing as it inspired me to make a change that I normally wouldn't have. Using this incident as a slight example, I have been trying to make it an exercise to turn small mishaps and annoyances that usually bring out a barrage of curses under my breath into a positive experience. I figure any negative energy we feed into our environment- albeit slight and harmless- must disperse somehow and has a very direct affect on ourselves and those around us, just as truly happy individuals have a contagious effect on those surrounding them. Besides, it feels good to be positive, kind of like sinking into a comfy couch after an intense workout or jumping out of an ice-cold river after a steaming sauna. The effort alone to be consciously aware of our feelings and emotions is in itself gratifying. I have been listening to Tom's Ipod and just heard a new Yo Yo Ma album that I thoroughly enjoyed called "Silk Road Journeys: Beyond the Horizon". It is filled with eastern music similar to that in "Crouching Tiger and Hidden Dragon" and brings the range and capability of the cello's tone to new heights. Now I am listening to one of my own favorite albums of native american flute and guitar called "Burning Sky". I never grow tired of it and it fills me with peace and calm.

  Spent a good portion of today on deck. It was an absolutely gorgeous day, and definitely one of the most refreshing ones i have had since hunting with Gary. Seas 12 to 18 feet but not too rough as it was a gentle following swell. I have grown used to these big open ocean waves, and my body has acclimated well. My appetite has returned full force and I eat whenever and whatever i want without feeling any kind of effect from the constant rocking motion of the sea. I love it out here-i think i was made for this sort of thing-my viking ancestors would be proud. I hope to have my own sail boat someday.


No comments:

Post a Comment