Saturday, October 24, 2009

"...we have given our hearts away, a sordid boon-the sea that bears her bosom to the moon, the winds that will be howling at all hours and are upgathe


Sunday 10/4/09

Sometimes i wonder if the gravitational pull of the moon isn't limited to just the tides, but exercises its strange magnetic effect on man's heart as well. Every full moon i have witnessed fills me with a sweet sadness, a gnawing nostalgia that emanates out of the depths of my soul. Every full moon I have witnessed humbles me; it creates within a certain gratitude that i have lived another thirty days to bear witness to this mystical sight, to again by chance look up into the heavens the night two rocks suspended in this infinite universe align to create such a miracle; yet i am not so sure it is chance anymore that draws me out to this occurrence month after month. I went out on deck for a breath of fresh air early this morning and was flooded by the celestial dazzle of the night. Basking in this morning moon, I am remembering how to pray again, remembering what it feels like to acknowledge that there is a power far greater then oneself in the universe, mysterious and awesome, that shines through on nights like these.  My breathing automatically slips into the long deep breaths of the meditation that i have been practicing, sinking into the rhythm of the soft rocking of this boat as she pushes through the gentle swell. The greeks spoke of an aeolian shepherd with whom the moon goddess Selene fell in love and put into an eternal sleep so she could be with him every night as he slept. Tonight i am that shepherd as i soak in her fleeting rays. She shines so brightly and so beautifully! Her glimmering radiance glistens in the night-so tantalizingly near I could touch her... She gleams through the black silhouette of my fingers as i hold my palm to the skies. She is sitting low on the horizon and i finally tear away my gaze from this glowing sphere that as if by a silk gossamer hangs in space. I am surprised the greeks haven't a myth of some primordial spider in the stars weaving the web that holds her dangling in the heavens. I have been hypnotized by this white light, and am practically blinded as i glance about into the night.  I lift my eyes to the east awaiting the executioner, the dreaded light of dawn, and there in the distance a strange magic is taking place! A bow, a band of white light permeates the charcoaled darkness and stretches from one side of the far horizon to the other! I have in all my moons never witnessed a spectacle such as this! Its as if she is telling me not to mourn her absence and to be patient for her return. I am captivated. I sit on deck until her light fades and the grey dawn overtakes us. It is impossible to describe my feelings of wonder and sorrow-what i have seen tonight has inspired the souls of men since we began to walk this earth. i have touched the heart of the ancients. 

No comments:

Post a Comment